Friday, November 30, 2007

Cause I am so analog

You are reading the blog of a person who doesn't read blogs. Or have a cell phone. Or use MySpace. I've only seen like five YouTube videos in my whole life. I'm kind of ambivalent about technology in general. Sometimes I feel like I could be perfectly happy spending my time reading my 19th century literature and playing the piano and generally living "the simple life." (And I don't mean like Paris Hilton) But then I look at my TiVo menu or my iPod or feel the need to look something up on the Internet Movie Database and I think, maybe this 21st century is not so bad after all.

Ironically, one thing I always preferred doing the old fashioned way is writing. While I have gotten used to emailing, I still like to do my creative writing with pencil and paper. I don't really know why this is, I just feel more artistic. Also, I think I find a blank notebook page inviting and a blank computer screen intimidating. This is one I'm really trying to get over.

One thing that helps is seeing what other people are up to -- I'm enjoying reading a blog now by one of my favorite singers, Jonathan Rundman. (check it out) I got to hang out with him for a while after he performed at our church recently. I've admired Jonathan's work for a while and it's always great to find a kindred spirit! I had the best time, and he gave me the necessary shove in the right direction to enter the digital age and start blogging myself.

"All our feelings and thoughts
Expressed in one and oughts
In endless spiraling chains
You can't decode or explain
Cause you are so analog. . . "
~ Random Number Generation from Hedwig and the Angry Inch

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

00110101011010110100101010010110!


you're so analog written in binary!


...not really, i made that up. would have been cool tho.