Friday, January 11, 2008

Tanka poetry

I may not be making blog entries as frequently as I'd like to, but I have been writing. Poetry mostly. My favorite kind to write is tanka poetry, which I recently discovered is not exactly what I always thought it was. . .

I started writing tanka poetry in about 10th grade as a requirement. Our textbooks taught us that tanka is an ancient style of Japanese poetry, similar to haiku, but having 31 syllables instead of just 17. This appealed to me, as I tend to be verbose. So, a tanka poem would have five lines -- two lines of 5 syllables each and three lines of 7 syllables each which could be placed in any order, according to said textbook. Well, I recently Googled tanka poetry when a friend asked me about it, and learned that in fact, there is a preferred pattern -- the lines are traditionally arranged 5-7-5-7-7.

Ack! Does this mean all the poems I've been writing all these years are wrong? Well, once I thought about it a bit I realized, no. That would be silly. For starters, to be a true tanka, it should be written in Japanese so the rules have already been bent. And the 5-7-5-7-7 thing is only customary -- from what I read, there aren't too many hard-and-fast type rules for tanka in English, especially nowadays. Besides, it's supposed to be art, emotion.

Now, mostly I write poetry for myself and don't tend to share it with too many people. But, since it's a new year, I thought maybe I'd step outside my comfort zone a bit and share a few tanka with you all. I looked through my archives and found this poem I wrote years ago that just happens to follow the official pattern:

Dandelion seeds
Drifting away on a breeze
Like so many dreams
You never dared to follow
Dancing just beyond your reach

And here's one from a few days ago that doesn't:

Pyromaniac's delight
Fire destroys to create
Scorched edges, ashes falling
Find what's left behind -
Beauty in relief

So I choose to keep writing with the guidelines I remember from my high school textbook -- each poem should express a single thought or emotion and use nature imagery -- and I'll let the 5 or 7 syllables fall where they may. I find the writing very therapeutic and I would encourage anyone else who's interested to give it a try. Click if you'd like to learn more about tanka

7 comments:

Donna said...

Thoroughly enjoyed your tanka poetry.....noticed something you might find interesting....you wrote first about a flower and then about fire.....both start with the letter F. ummmmm so maybe there is a pattern to all this? lol BTW thanks for talking with Luis.....it made his week. Your next mission should you choose to accept it is think of two tanka subjects starting with the letter N! Have fun

poohbear64 said...

I think these are wonderful. You must get that from your Dad. Did you know that he wrote poetry? I am sure that you do. Your grandmother still has some that he wrote when he was a teenager. He even wrote one about me on a Christmas Morning. I love it and will always treasure it. We are really missing all of you. Wished we could have stayed longer. We love you! xxoxoxoxoxx

Anonymous said...

whoa that second one is so much like something i would write, but better. it's like that short story i wrote about the artist's studio that burns.

Sarah Marshall said...

dude, it totally is like that short story you wrote, jo. weird. did i use your brain or were you using mine?

Anonymous said...

hey nice job kiddo

Anonymous said...

hi my name is kelsey jordan and i am from sherbrooke nova scotia in indian harbour lake and i live on the west side if u would like to call me plz call and ask for me at 1902-522-2709 and this infomation is all true u look up this number under sherbroke and look for the names darlene or jeffery jordan and then call cause this is the truth and i go to school in sherbrooke and the school that i go to is St. Marys Academy and i am in gr 8. and the school number is 1902-522-2035 so u can get hold of me there to. so ttyl if someone does call. i am posting this for everyone to see.

Anonymous said...

A kiss on the cheek
A hug pulling you closer
A meaningful glance
All signs of beautiful new love
And it started with a kiss