Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Desert Island Records

Well, I figure it's better to write something than nothing at all. Since I don't have much on my mind at the moment, here's my answer to one of those classic questions: what music would you want to have with you if you were all alone on a desert island? Maybe it's archaic to even make such a list when all I really need would be a 30 GB iPod and a solar charger, but here (in no particular order) are my top ten must have albums if I were ever stranded --

1) Rent, Original Broadway Cast
2) Something, Lost And Found
3) Sound Theology, Jonathan Rundman
4) Spirit, Jewel
5) Californication, Red Hot Chili Peppers
6) Jagged Little Pill, Alanis Morissette
7) Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Original Cast Recording
8) The White Album, The Beatles
9) Grace, Jeff Buckley
10) Hymns, Various Artists (compiled by Youth Encounter)

Now, a little explanation. The one ground rule I set for myself was to only bring one album per artist. (Don't ask me why, it made sense at the time.) And here's a few thoughts on some of the specific choices --

1) Rent - there must be broadway, and this is my favorite, hands-down.
2) Something - picking one L & F album was tricky, but this is the one I listen to the most
3) Sound Theology - one song for each week of the church year. and I do get to take the liner notes, right?
5) Californication - for me, this is the peak (and my first RHCP)
10) Hymns - yes, I am that much of a church nerd.

So, that's what I have to say tonight. Please post or email me any comments as I'll probably do more top tens in the future. This was kinda fun!

3 comments:

poohbear64 said...

It was great to hear your voice on my birthday. Only 16 more days until we are there. We cannot wait. My top 10 albums... gee, I will have to give that some thought. I wanted to leave comments awhile ago, but my computer at work won't let me for some reason. So, I brought my laptop to work, more than 1 way to skin a cat. HA. Love you sweetie.

Donna said...

Enjoyed your top ten albums....and wondered if they were CD's or really albums? Suggestions for future lists (I know, you didn't ask for any, but hey I get curious what people think about) Top ten kitchen items you would take to a desert island or top ten greatest inventions or top ten books printed before 1975. Okay, enough of my blatherings. Hope you are doing well and glad to hear you got to throw snowballs.....wish I could too.

Sarah Marshall said...

Fair point, Donna. They are in fact CDs, perhaps because I've never had a (working) record player in my room. I just think album is a prettier word, no? Suggestions are always welcome, but I think what would really challenge me would be to come up with a top ten books printed AFTER 1975!