Saturday, August 18, 2012

Ancient Japanese poetry + too much Science Channel

The Science Channel is a remarkable source of inspiration for poetry.  I didn't even set out to write these sorts of poems, it just happened.  Have you seen "Through the Wormhole"?  I don't know how to process such truly wild, mind blowing knowledge and information.  It all winds up just dancing around in my head and I want to put it down somehow, even if I can't possibly understand all of the technicalities.  Some of these poems are also partially products of my current sci-fi kick (e.g."Sunshine," "Doctor Who") and whatever genre you want to call "Tree of Life."  So here is a first selection of my science series of tanka poems with more to come, I'm sure.  To think, hundreds of years ago, artists and samurai used this same form to speak of cherry blossoms...

Created in destruction
Now unbonded particles
Returned to stardust
Free from gravity
Swimming in expansive space

Singularity
Forever balanced
On the event horizon
The inexplicable edge
Of precarious knowledge

Intelligence created
Out of primordial ooze
Such simple-minded beings
I hear God laughing --
Darwin wasn't wrong

No comments: