Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Calypso feathers

Some of you may remember from an earlier entry that our family has a cockatiel named Squeaker. We also had a lovebird named Calypso. Or perhaps I should say my mother had a lovebird, who was kind enough to share himself with me. He was such a mama's boy! Well, Calypso died in February at the ripe old age of 12. (I understand the 8 - 10 is good for a lovebird.)

You've seen some of Squeaker's antics, so let me tell you a bit about Calypso. First, he was green. His favorite pastimes included baths, chewing things, and heckling Squeaker. He was just a little bird, but apparently no one told him that. He was unafraid of pretty much anything, had a never-ending supply of energy, and a peep that could be heard for miles around. He didn't talk -- the only human sound he imitated was a kissy noise, which was completely endearing. We always said that if he were to pick up something else it would probably be a belch or a swear word. He was just that perverse, yet the ultimate charmer.

We buried Calypso on Easter among the spring flowers, sent off with these two poems I wrote --

Calypso feathers
Cannot contain his ego
Unaware of height
A tiny frame taking flight
Peeps mightily in God's ear

Proclaiming green-ness,
Pointy beaked upside down-ness.
For the love of noise,
Sheer joy of being alive --
I peep because I'm happy!

And I think that's pretty much Calypso in a nutshell. I don't want to get too sentimental, but if I ever needed a lesson in joie de vivre, I need look no further than the tiny green person who would drink water from my fingers and let me scratch his head.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful. Evie did happen to tell me that you lost Calypso. We feel a loss as well. Of course, he wouldn't give either one of us the time of day; however, I do believe that he enjoyed me singing him to sleep on those cold nights in December. We love you! Sending e-mail tonight also. xoxoxoxoxox Donna (Evie too)

Anonymous said...

I lost your "laugh like Sarah" when my computer crashed. Recently found the site again. See you haven't been here for a while, so hope you get this one.

I would never have imagined my being a bird person....not after Alfred Hitchcock's "The birds" movie, but last year I was given two cockatiels, Dot and Dash, to care for while a friend moved, and somehow I ended up keeping them.

I know now that losing either of them would sadden my greatly. Who else thinks to whistle at me when I walk by? At age 61, not gonna happen, but Dash does every time and Dot "peeps" at me whenever I speak her name. Anyway, Sarah, you remain in my thoughts and prayers, as does all the Marshalls.

Keep moving forward but don't forget to look back and remember.

L,
Donna and Luis